Purpose of the Curriculum:
(What will a high quality Art education do for our children?)
- To produce high quality art that engages, inspires and challenges pupils.
- To enable the pupils to become experimental, inventive and creative.
- To think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art.
- To be aware and know how art and design has shaped our history, cultures, creativity and our nation.
Aim of the Curriculum:
By the end of their time at St Mary & St Margaret’s CE Primary, all pupils should be able to:
- Become visually literate, to encourage the use and understanding of art as a means of visual and tactile communication.
- Develop skills, both creative and technical, so that ideas can be realised and artefacts produced.
- Develop imagination and original thought and encourage experimentation.
- Nurture and develop children’s enthusiasm for and enjoyment of this subject.
- Nurture and develop the child’s capacity to learn about and observe the world in which they live, both locally and globally.
- Develop the ability to express and communicate ideas, opinions and feelings about their own work and that of others.
- Develop the ability to value the contribution made by artists, craftsworkers and designers and to respond thoughtfully, critically and imaginatively to different ideas, images and objects from this and other cultures.